Coaching for organizations that are implementing formal project management for the first time
Organizations implementing formal project management practices for the first time often face a wide array of challenges, the solutions to which may not always be obvious. Even defining the root cause of problems encountered in project work can be surprisingly challenging. As an experienced and knowledgeable project management professional, I can help your team identify and resolve the problems faced when developing and implementing a formal project management system. I employ a four phase approach that will begin with helping your team develop an accurate picture of the current project management situation in your organization. Next I’ll guide your team through the design and implementation of a custom solution that will move your organization from the current way in which it approaches project work to the desired state producing optimal project results. Finally we’ll conclude with a follow up phase where I’ll work with the team to monitor the results of our solution and make adjustments to optimize performance.
- The coaching program is designed to provide maximum value for the client by providing valuable information and guidance that enables the team to do most of the “heavy lifting” to develop and implement the optimal solution. This has the duel benefit of maximizing the team’s opportunity to learn and grow while keeping the cost of the program manageable (win/win).
- The evaluation phase will consist of questions and interviews with members of the leadership team, management, and project team members to determine the current project management environment (from various points of view) within the organization.
- A project management solution that is specifically designed for the organization will then be crafted by the team. The solution will be based on desired project management results with the implementation plan accounting for the current work environment.
- We’ll then implement the solution together with the team while tracking metrics specifically designed to measure progress towards achieving the desired state of project management within the organization. Implementation can be very challenging depending upon the current organizational culture and how conducive that culture is to good project management practices. Our experience and knowledge will be extremely valuable in helping the team work through the challenges of implementation.
- As the implementation matures we’ll follow up with the team to assist in making adjustments, based on measured results, to help optimize project management performance within the organization.
Coaching for organizations that want to establish a PMO
Establishing a Project/Program Management Office (PMO) in an organization can be a considerable undertaking with numerous challenges. Often this involves a significant shift in culture for an organization and requires not only a solid understanding of formal project management fundamentals but knowledge of organizational behavior as well. In addition, a PMO is not a “one size fits all” entity and should be tailored specifically to fit the needs of the organization. As an experienced and knowledgeable project management professional I can help your team design a PMO that is appropriate for the organization. In addition I can help guide your team through implementation and provide assistance in evaluating progress and making adjustments to optimize the PMO for the organization.
The coaching program is designed to help the organization:
- Evaluate the current organizational structure and determine how that structure will likely impact and be impacted by the implementation of a PMO
- Understand the current state of project management within the organization and define the desired condition
- Develop metrics to measure the current state and define metric targets for the desired state
- Define and understand the expectations of the new PMO
- Design a PMO structure that is appropriate for the organization
- Design PMO functionality that is appropriate for the organization
- Design an implementation plan for the PMO
- Implement the plan and establish the PMO
- Monitor and evaluate PMO performance and make adjustments to optimize performance
Coaching for organizations that feel they are struggling with their current project management approach and want to improve (typical of organizations experiencing rapid growth)
Successfully managing projects in today’s work environment can be extremely challenging even under the best of circumstances. Project managers are often asked to manage multiple projects to unrealistic schedules with inadequate resources and funding. Organizations experiencing rapid growth are particularly vulnerable to developing these conditions. In addition, many working project managers have no formal training or certification and are more likely to develop bad practices that produce unsatisfactory project results. As an experienced and knowledgeable project management professional I can help your team identify the root causes of your current project management issues and design and implement a solution that will enable the organization to achieve the desired results.
The coaching program is designed to help the organization:
- Assess the current state of project management practices within the organization
- Articulate the specific issues caused by current project management practices
- Identify and understand root causes of the current undesirable project results
- Design a project management structure that is appropriate for the organization
- Develop appropriate project management processes and procedures
- Develop metrics to monitor and evaluate project performance
- Implement effective project management processes and procedures
- Monitor and evaluate performance and make adjustments to optimize results